Are EE chickens snobs?? Are Dominickers more loving??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmtillman, Apr 16, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

We got our 25 new chicks 3 1/2 weeks ago...and already we are seeing very distinct personality differences in them!!
    I have 5 each of : BUFF, DOM, EE, RIR, and Brown Leghorns.
    I treat them all atleast twice a day...little pieces of worms, broccoli, bananas, etc.....None are left out. I let them eat these treats out of my hands
    My 5 Doms are SOOOOO friendly and loving:love
    ...when I am in the pen , all 5 of my Doms will be in my lap [​IMG] the minute I sit down in there! [​IMG]
    Went out last night and I had one on each shoulder and 3 in my lap!!!! They love me!!!! [​IMG]
    The Buffs are somewhat friendly. But still distant.
    My 5 leghorns are coming around more now, after starting out very skiddish....
    The RIR are still sort of indifferent...but !!!
    The EE............( Americana)....they are total snobs [​IMG]
    ....I can hold a live wiggly worm right in front of them and they all 5 literally run away from it!!?!!![​IMG]
    I am totally amazed at how out of my flock of 25, I am seeing such a difference in personalities!!!
    I dreamed of having a few lap chickens, so I guess I will have atleast 5 of them in my Dominickers!!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    We love our Doms so much, we have ordered more! One of our Doms, Cookie, has done classroom visits. She is super friendly. I don't know about EEs, but our SSH and Phoenix are hard to catch & do NOT cuddle.

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    That's a little funny to me because mine are opposite. The EE's are usually first to approach followed by the Dominique (just got her yesterday so what can I truly expect) and finally my d'Uccles. I can't really blame one of the d'Uccles because I have been messing around with her legs and feet a bunch (twisted leg and need a boot on the feet) but the other had no reason. I don't really count the blue andulusian because she may not make it (got her for free because she was squished in the shipping box 3 days ago) and I'm always picking her up to feed electro-vita-water to. But I digress, My EE pullets are definitely my bravest and most affectionate.

4. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 EE's that follow me around, to my conclusion I thought they loved me, but i think they are just looking for goddie's, my other 2 EE's there friendly but i think there more shy then any thing,

I have a little black mix bantam, and she is very friendly she flys up on my shoulder and walks around with me

5. jesd

jesd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    My EE is really laid back -- happy to sit in my hand as long as I'll have her (hopefully "her", only 2 1/2 weeks old at this point). Hopefully she'll stay so easy-going...

6. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have two batches of chicks, one group of 10 is about two months, the other group of 9 is about two weeks.

Of the older pullets, my two EE's are quite skittish and I can't catch them easily. The 2 Doms have been from the start very curious, unafraid, and SO sweet when I pick them up.

Strangely though, it's the sweet little Doms that have done the most damage, picking the other pullets bloody beyond belief. I would never have believed it was them, but the bloody beaks are kind of hard to deny, and the fact that they have most of their feathers while the other 8 have naked backs and tails.

With the second, younger batch though, the EE's are very placid and sit quietly when I pick them up. SO cute!

7. hensintheghetto

hensintheghetto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Sacramento Valley
    My EE started out as my most loving chick, but in the last week has become totally skittish and wants nothing to do with me (even when I have treats). It's strange. She just walks around the brooder making upset peeping noises when I'm in there. Maybe they're just unstable!

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL...yeah..that is it...maybe my Americanas are unstable!! [​IMG]

I just know my chickens communicate to each other ........so, maybe one of the A's got ticked off and she told the other 4 that they are actually in a prison camp, and not to assossiate with the guards...they are probally planning an escape as soon as the opportunity presents itself....[​IMG]

What I am gonna start doing is get in the pen with them a few more x a day,...block off a section for just me and the 5 little snobby Americans and try to change their attitudes with more treats....and some extra TLC. [​IMG]

If that doesnt work I will eat them. [​IMG]

9. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Haha wow well my EE chick turned out to be a rooster and is 7 or 8 months old and was the sweetest chick until he started crowing and if i walk into the pen he attacks me so he's leavin lol. My EE hen is very sweet and somewhat skittish but just wants to be left alone. But for the rooster i have to use a rake to collect the eggs

10. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    My first EE's that I had were very aggressive, not in a mean way, when I went out there they were the boss of all the other chickens, I lost some to predators but it didn't effect the others they continued to lay steadily, my cochin's were very sweet especially the Roo, he was so so loveable and gentle with the grand kids, now the EE Roo, he was mean and met a sudden death. He attacked one of the grandchildren who was not even doing anything or even near him, the roo just came a flying with his spurs right to the back of my grandson's head, lucky for him he had a hooded sweatshirt on, he just kept attacking, and my husband grabbed the closest tool which was a pitch fork and like I said he had a sudden death. I really like their personalities, the hens that is, I just got 5 EE's yesterday and they are all over the other ones down there in the brooder. So I guess it is up to the batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by