1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

are ee chicks not friendly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, Jun 16, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a few chicks of all different breeds and they are all very friendly except the ee. i know that the temperament can vary between easter eggers but i ordered 25 chicks (that was the minimum) and then picked the friendliest ee and then gave the extras away. when easter eggers grow up do the tend to calm down?

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    They must vary widely. I know some folks in AZ have EE they they call their "lap chickens."

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have had super skittish ee chicks, and ee chicks that are constantly flying up to my shoulders and hair. Never an in-between.

4. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    All of mine have been unfriendly and skittish ever since they were chicks.

5. Well I feel better. The two BR/EE chicks in my shower are NOT friendly at all... they aren't even nosey... they just run chirping. Our GSLs are SO much more fun.

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Songster

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Mine are Very Skittish!!

7. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I only have one who has always been skittish...still love her though [​IMG]

8. australorpchick

australorpchick Songster

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    My EE is our lap hen. She won't hop on your lap, but will stand near where you're sitting, glancing at you until you notice her and then you can pick her up. She only likes one person to pet her at a time, otherwise she pecks the second person.

9. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Songster

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    Wow reading this makes me feel better. We have 5 EE pullets and they are the oddest little birds. Constantly chirping, skittish, jump on top of each other every two seconds. I worry how well they will learn to come back to the coop at night.

Funny thing that I do like about them is while they are brooding they get to spend time outside in a small run and they first thing the EE's do is flop on their side and stick a leg out...all five of them do that. [​IMG]

10. cabot

cabot Songster

I only have 2 EEs in my small flock of 9 pullets. At 9 weeks old, one is my friendliest and the other is my wildest....
    friendly:
    [​IMG]

wild child
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: