Are EE/RIR mixes good broody birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 13 chickens, Aug 2, 2013.

1. 13 chickens

13 chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    I have a bunch of EE/RIR mixes and I was wondering if I will get some broody hens out of them

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I think a lot will depend on where you got them from, or rather where the parents came from. I have not found hatchery EEs or RIR to be very broody, the occasional one will go broody, but not very often, maybe 10% of mine will try to go broody once a year. Heritage RIR seem to be a lot more broody, and Ameraucans seem to be a lot more broody. So if your mixes are of mostly hatchery stock, you might get the occasional broody, if they are of more breeder stock, they will probably go broody more often.

3. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Sounds like we will be on similar journeys. I have RIRs and EEs. Only one little red laying so far. Should be interesting.

4. 13 chickens

Jul 20, 2012
    I hatched them all myself, I have 4 RIR hens and 1 EE roo

5. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    An update, since we seem to have similar circumstances: 4 of mine have EE mixed in somewhere down the line, 3 have gone broody. I let one hatch 5 mutt eggs with all of them successful. One set 3 but only 1 made it. Peepers is only sitting on 1 from one of my production red mixes. With only six grown hens, and three with broody possibilities I figured we'd hatch eggs from my non-Broodies and hope for the best!

6. 13 chickens

Jul 20, 2012
    As far as I know known of mine are broody but I haven't been finding eggs so maybe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by