Are EE's very slight built?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, Nov 25, 2008.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I ask because I picked up 5 EE's that are about 1 1/2 yrs old and compared to my Orps and Wyandottes they are very slight. Two of the birds are thin, but not dangerously so and they are all just coming out of molt. I'm wondering if it is the nature of the breed or were these girls just so underfed all their life they never filled out.

The situation they were in was ffffaaarrrr from ideal so they are being quarantined, wormed and heavily fed before their fate is determined. Even being sent to the stew pot is better than being left where they were.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't know about orps, but wyandottes are a heavy breed and yes an ee would be alot lighter in build.

ETA: Oops, I was thinking australorps not orps... Yes both of those breeds are heavy breeds.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i dont now about the breeds you have but my EE's have much broader backs them my RIR's but they do have kind of a boney look.

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Our lone EE looks like this too, especially compared to our zaftig BO and Australorp, any chicken would look petite next to those girls! The EE also doesn't have the fluffy body feathers and down pantaloons of the other two. She also weighs a good 1 lb less.

Phyllis

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Ameraucanas are a leaner body type, generally. My EE pullet is larger than my Ameraucanas, though she is more streamlined than my other breeds, i.e., Barred Rock, RIR, Orpingtons, etc.

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Mine are leaner, but they are hardier than other breeds that I have had.

7. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    my ee's are lean also. ErinM

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine are so lean that I can't bring myself to slaughter the extra cockerels. They don't look like they'll be good for much save stock. I do have two large girls who were marketed as Ameraucanas, but who knows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by