Are egg gathering exterior door/hatches worth doing?

kiwiegg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Minnesota
I'm wondering as I modify the 8x8 walk in coop from "...for Dummies" if I should leave the egg door out of my design. I realize it's a convenience thing but in a very cold winter climate (like mine) and a potentially windy location (like mine is) could I run into draft issues for my girls? Is it really a lot more work walking through the door? I feel very fortunate to ask these things before I build! Thanks.
SORRY I CLICKED TWICE >>>HOW DO I DELETE A DOUBLE POST?

Last edited:
Quote:
I think an egg door is a good thing. I live in a cold winter climate and don't like to open the people door in the winter time and let all the good warmth out of the coop whenever I can avoid it.

To have a thread deleted, just contact a moderator or administrator with the link and ask them to delete the duplicate post for you.

I didn't put one in, and am starting to regret it. They swarm the door everytime I go in, and its a sure thing I'll end up with "poopy coop shoes" and feather dust in my hair. Perhaps a remodel is in order next spring....

This is a great question. I am glad you decided to ask it. I was wondering the same thing. My coop is actually a 6x10 coop room in my barn, but I do have a wall that I could build access to nest boxes (I meaning DH
wink.png
).

I had the outside egg door on my little coop and now I have the nests inside. To tell you the truth, I love the inside much better. The door on the outside was heavy and hard to hold up and then gather the eggs with the one hand. Maybe it was just me. But I always like going down and talking with the girls, tidying up the coop and the eggs are right there easy to get from the nests mounted on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom