1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are eggs from Jumbos smaller?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by katiebob, Jan 15, 2010.

1. katiebob

katiebob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Nor Cal, CA
    Hi All,
    I currently have juvenile coturnix that I plan to keep for eggs. I am interested in the Jumbo, though I just read that their eggs are smaller. Do any of you have Jumbos and is it true?
    Thanks

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Never heard this. I'm anxious to hear from the experts.

3. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I won't say they are smaller, but comparing my A&M eggs with the jumbo, they are almost exactly the same size.

Bil

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Jumbos traditionally lay the biggest coturnix eggs. In proportion to the hens size they would be considered xl eggs.

5. youridreezen

youridreezen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    if you want eggs don't go for jumbos.
    but no they do not lay smaller eggs but are not a lot bigger.

cheers youri.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My jumbos lay good sized eggs, but my whites' eggs are about the same size. Now the other pharoah-sized birds (my whites are pharoah-sized) do lay eggs that are smaller than the jumbos.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Why do you say that? My jumbos are the only ones still laying, and they never skipped a beat this summer. [​IMG]

8. worldling

worldling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Quote:I agree. If you just want eggs then go with the little browns (pharoah). Larger eggs are nice, but the higher food cost ratio for jumbos isn't worth the size difference in eggs. Meat is a different story.

If you think you want both eggs and meat, then go with jumbos, or both. Just my suggestion. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 12 jumbos in a cage together. They have a long chick feeder for their food. If I fed them every day (which I do not), it would be the equivalent to 1 & 1/3 frosting cups-full [​IMG]

My pharoah-sized birds get a frosting cup every 3 days...and that's for no more than 6 birds per cage on the pharoahs [​IMG]

10. youridreezen

youridreezen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Quote:I agree. If you just want eggs then go with the little browns (pharoah). Larger eggs are nice, but the higher food cost ratio for jumbos isn't worth the size difference in eggs. Meat is a different story.

If you think you want both eggs and meat, then go with jumbos, or both. Just my suggestion. [​IMG]

thats what i mean.

cheers youri.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by