Are eggs good from a hidden nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LMJacobs, Aug 7, 2013.

1. LMJacobs

LMJacobs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Our white leghorn started laying but it seemed kind of random - we'd find an egg in a horse stall, or on the back porch next to the door - then nothing. For the past two days she started hiding. This morning we found her spot with 22 eggs in it!

I am doing the cold water test to see which ones are good. Is it possible hat all of them will be good? None of them are bobbing. Is there anything else I should do? We did have a rooster for awhile, so should I candle them? If I do, what am I looking for?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    if you only have one hen and found a nest of 22 eggs I would not eat them.

3. LMJacobs

Apr 8, 2013
    I have six hens but I am fairly sure these are all from the same one. I think all the others lay brown eggs and these are white.

4. LMJacobs

Apr 8, 2013
    Actually, we have a blue andalusian. She's the only one who hasn't started laying - to my knowledge.

5. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

I wouldn't eat them. Who knows how long they've been there and she's probably been sitting on them so they might have formed chicks inside. Even if she hasn't been sitting some of the eggs are at least 22 days old in the heat. I would toss them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by