Are eggs really $6 a carton in California?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by garnet, Jan 8, 2009.

1. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Omigosh. One of my co workers called today and was relating how much everythign costs in CA. She's staying with/caring for her sister who is dying of cancer. She's trying to pay her own way on her money she's getting from FMLA. She's apparently having a tough time. Anyway, we were brainstorming cheap protein and I said eggs and she said "$6 a carton" and I said no way!

So really are they? Thats robbery!

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    They are around $6 and probably are in a few stores, but you can find them cheaper. Thats for the free range, organic, bla lalala dozen. Hence the reason for my RIR's.

Chef

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The whole west coast is expensive. $6.95 in the stores here.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There are places that are $6/dozen, but like someone else said, it's the fancy ones (organic, cage-free, etc.). I think a my local market they are about $2/dozen for regular commercial farm eggs.

5. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Quote:WOW! I guess we're lucky here in the "middle". You can still get those fancy ones for around $3 here.

6. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I can buy white medium sized eggs for abour $1 a carton here. The brown ones/organic ones are about $3.

7. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    I have never even seen the fancy ones for $6 a carton anywhere in California. Maybe $4, $4.50.

The cheap eggs are more like $2.

Trader Joe's is her friend. They'll have the best prices on eggs (and on a lot of other stuff too).

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I know they're going for $7 at the famer's markets in Portland and Seattle now. In general, most things are far more expensive on the west coast. I buy chicken feed in massive bulks and it can be as much as $15 per 50# bag during certain times of the year. The egg prices are just reflecting the higher feeding costs and longer distances to drive to market.

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Yes you can always find cheap. But, you often pay for it in quality like anything else.

At $2.00 a dozen most would lose a lot of money having chickens.

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Id be shocked if I saw eggs for so low as $2 a dozen in the San Francisco area. It is double that for the cheap eggs and triple for the good stuff. Duck eggs start at $6 and go up to $12 a dozen.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by