Are eggs really "babies..."?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

One of the things that irritates me to no end is when people call eggs their "babies."

"The postman mishandled my box, and broke my babies..."
    "I dropped my babies and they broke when I was getting them out of the coop..."
    "Something is eating my babies...."

Do you think eggs are 'babies' or bodily fluids contained in a calcium shell?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Eggs are not babies until they are incubated.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My daughter raised all heck with me because she didn't want to eat our chicken eggs. She's 12. I asked her why then that she eats the store bought eggs....and she said that it was because they are just big ugly white chickens. She said that she didn't want to eat ours because they might be that super special amazingly cute chick that she will not then get to see. I explained to her that they would just sit and rot if we don't eat them because they are being laid just because... NOT because she is a broody hen. I finally won and she does eat the eggs and the meat when we butcher roos.

So, that might be it. Knowing that they have the potential to be adorable little bundles of fluff [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I ate SIX eggs from my little fluffy show producing stock last night! Along with three pieces of toast and a glass of whole, full of fat, vitamin d milk! [​IMG]

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I consider them embryos until they hatch. [​IMG]

An egg before it is incubated is just an egg, or you could call it a fertilized egg.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    That depends on if they are fertile or not.

I think of fertile eggs as an embryo.... but when I was pregnant my embryo was also my baby, so I can see calling a fertile egg a baby chicken.

The eggs I get from the store to eat, are not babies, and neither will the eggs my hens lay (when they start laying).

Dove

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I agree with a couple of these. I guess an egg is not a baby unless you ahve a rooster to make the egg fertile and the germ has to be incubated to 99.5F in order to recieve a cute chick.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I will vote fluids in a calcium shell. (and as a side note mention that if treated right, can become chicks(still not babies) which in 5 months can either start giving me more fluid in a shell or jump in the pot, and keep the fluid in a shell noodles company.) [​IMG]

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Well, in the postman quotes, those would be babies to them because they have eggs come by mail with the intention to hatch them. I consider them babies as eggs IF the intent is there to hatch them.

Otherwise, they are food, not babies.

But everyone is different. Lots of people call their dogs babies and feed them from the table. It's just a dog to me.

10. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I prefer to refer to them as DELICIOUS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by