Are eggs safe to eat from a hen with a respiratory illness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roo Boy, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Roo Boy

Roo Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    This extremely cold has brought on some serious stresses for our hens. One older one is developing a small cough and rattle when she breaths. No other symptoms such as watery eyes, weird odor, lethargy, etc… She is eating and drinking fine. Anyway, are the eggs safe to eat? I've searched the forum, but didn't come across anything. Most said not to eat eggs if she is being treated with meds, but I'm not doing that.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If you are not medicating than as long as you cook the eggs completely they are safe to eat - no sunny side up raw yokes. Chickens don't get colds like people.

3. Roo Boy

Roo Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. There are so many different respiratory diseases out there and it seems that this bird is probably a carrier of one of them and the extremely cold temps stressed her to the max, which brought on the symptoms. I have never noticed them prior to this. I will keep an eye on her. So far the others are not showing any symptoms. If she is infected with something then the others have been exposed to it as well. They have been in the same flock for a long time. Based on that, I will not isolate her. Thanks again and stay warm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by