Are eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lamd, Jan 5, 2017.

1. lamd

lamd New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    I came across a new poultry store in my area that sold started pullets. I added quite a few to my established backyard flock. Unfortunately, they brought a respiratory illness with them and I now only have six surviving chickens. One just started laying and I'm wondering if the eggs are safe to eat. I believe they are, but rather be safe than sorry!
    Also, How best to eradicate the illness before introducing new birds? TIA!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The eggs are safe to eat. Most respiratory illness in poultry are the result of a virus, which means the recovered birds are probably carriers for life. I do suggest you get your surviving bird tested to find out exactly what virus your flock had. If viral, you will have to have a closed flock (no new birds added to your existing flock), or cull them all and start over.

3. AlabamaLaw

AlabamaLaw New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    North Alabama
    I understand no birds out but I why no new birds?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Because the existing birds may be carriers of the virus and capable of infecting and potentially killing any new birds.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Research mycoplasma gallisepticum and mycoplasma synoviae.

-Kathy

6. AlabamaLaw

AlabamaLaw New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    North Alabama

That makes sense. I just had a pullet I bought two months ago tested; she's been sick but I'm new at this and didn't know. She was positive for MG. I have a small flock (30 birds) and had planned to sell free-range eggs in a few years when I retire, growing my flock slowly. Do you think it would be irresponsible to grow my flock by hatching my own eggs?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    MG can affect reproductive ability. Hens that have had MG tend to be poor layers. It's also one of the few viruses that can be passed to eggs, resulting in chicks that are MG positive from the start.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Isn't it a bacteria?

-Kathy

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It is caused by a bacteria, but it is one of the few bacteria that can not be eradicated by antibiotics. It's life-long. There is no cure.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Just checking because in your last post you called it a virus. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by