Are eggs still ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babigyrl22, Sep 12, 2011.

1. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    I came home for lunch and Blueberry was sitting in her trance-like state....but NOT ON THE EGGS! [​IMG] I am not sure how long they've cooled but she was sitting on them when I left for work this morning. Are the eggs still ok?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It depends how long she's been off them and how warm is it where you are. I had a hen sit with the egg next to her, in the rain! It was ice cold when I slipped it back under her. It hatched O.K. Another broody hen managed to get out of the coop and couldn't get back in, her eggs were cold when I finally put her back, but they hatched out fine. So don't worry too much. Those little things are tough.
    How long has she been sitting?

3. babigyrl22

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:She's on day 5. It's 84 degrees today...so maybe I shouldn't worry.

4. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    I also had a hen sit on eggs next to the ones that were under her for a week and a half. I candled them and saw no movement and was ready to give up on them. I think she was off them for 24+ hours and our nights were around 50 degrees at the time. So I fixed her up a dog kennel in the garage and stuck the eggs back under her and all but one egg hatched just fine. They were a day late though. I call them my miracle chicks [​IMG]

5. babigyrl22

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Thanks that makes me feel better. I believe when she rotates her eggs she's not too particular of what's underneath her. Most of the the time her eggs are all underneath her. Sometimes there is a stray or two that I have to snuggle back under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by