Are eggs still ok?

babigyrl22

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Caledonia
I came home for lunch and Blueberry was sitting in her trance-like state....but NOT ON THE EGGS!
barnie.gif
I am not sure how long they've cooled but she was sitting on them when I left for work this morning. Are the eggs still ok?

Last edited:
It depends how long she's been off them and how warm is it where you are. I had a hen sit with the egg next to her, in the rain! It was ice cold when I slipped it back under her. It hatched O.K. Another broody hen managed to get out of the coop and couldn't get back in, her eggs were cold when I finally put her back, but they hatched out fine. So don't worry too much. Those little things are tough.
How long has she been sitting?

I also had a hen sit on eggs next to the ones that were under her for a week and a half. I candled them and saw no movement and was ready to give up on them. I think she was off them for 24+ hours and our nights were around 50 degrees at the time. So I fixed her up a dog kennel in the garage and stuck the eggs back under her and all but one egg hatched just fine. They were a day late though. I call them my miracle chicks
big_smile.png

Thanks that makes me feel better. I believe when she rotates her eggs she's not too particular of what's underneath her. Most of the the time her eggs are all underneath her. Sometimes there is a stray or two that I have to snuggle back under her.

Back
Top Bottom