Are ey too young to molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jasonkkelley73, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jasonkkelley73

jasonkkelley73 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    North Carolina
    I have 6 hens and one of my Brown Leghorns is starting to loose her neck feathers. She is about 10 months old. Is she sick or molting?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    chickens don't molt during their first autum/winter

3. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Wouldn't think it would be molting...

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    How long has is been happening, Is it just one chicken or more, is it losing whole feathers or are parts of the feathers falling off? If it's the second one then take your leghorn and look at the feathers and if the have a V shape on the ends then she probably got pecked by other hens. I don't think it would be mites or anything of its just the neck feathers and nowhere else.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Are there any parasites on her? Any other symptoms except feather loss? Is her eating and drinking normal?

It's not entirely impossible for a chicken at that age to molt. I had 3 hens at 8-9 months old molt their first fall/winter.

6. JayColli

JayColli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2016
    Nova Scotia
    I also have a 9-month old pullet that is just turning the corner on her first molt.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Tho most bird do not go thru their first full annual molt until their second fall.....
    ....it's not unprecedented to have a 8-12 month old bird go thru a partial or full molt in their first fall.

Checking for bugs and pecking issues is a good idea to rule those out tho.

Was she laying previously.....is she laying still?
    Knowing more about your flock and their housing and diet might help.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I just had a conversation with a guy I know.....He has a coop of this years pullets that are losing neck feathers too......It is caused from boredom/roosting.....All his Birds get along during the day...Over crowded Roosts and they peck and eat feathers......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by