Are feathered feet high maintenance?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happymom99, May 11, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Hello. I'm considering getting a Salmon Faverolle, Marans and a Cochin with my first flock of other standard sized fowl. Is there anything to be concerned about as far as taking care of birds with feathered feet? Do they need to be cared for in a special way?

Thank you,
    CJ

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, no. I've never done anything special for my brahmas feet. They are a little over 3 years old. They occasionally get a broken foot feather. Usually by the time I notice it, the blood has already dried.

Now I also have SFs, silkies and some mixed breeds with feathered feet. Same thing, no prob. The other day one of the youngest babies had some poo caked on his little foot feathers, but it was a simple matter of pulling it off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    I have a couple of LF Cochins. They went through this last winter with no particular problems. In winter, I put some clean hay down so that they didn't have problems with feathers freezing to the ground. I don't show so condition is no concern.

4. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I freaked out when my Marans girl had a broken foot feather. I thought she'd cut her foot but apparently it was a feather. Healed up quickly, though. As for high maintenance, not really. I don't know if they do better in colder weather, though. Seems like my Marans pullet always gets hotter faster than my other chickens. Also, one of my Red Stars sometimes will pick at her foot feathers, but not too much to cause damage. I guess she thinks it's strange that this chicken has feathers on her feet! and she's the only one with them..

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I haven't had any problems with my Faverolles. They aren't one of the breeds that have extra heavy leg and feet feathering, though. I do check their extra toes once in awhile, in case they need a little trimming.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:I did not know that chickens toes need trimming. Can you tell me more about this? How often do you do it? How do you do it?

Thank you,
    CJ

7. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Thank you, Everyone, for the feedback. [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I did not know that chickens toes need trimming. Can you tell me more about this? How often do you do it? How do you do it?

Thank you,
    CJ

Some chicken breeds have a 5th toe. It doesn't sit on the ground, it's a little higher up, so it doesn't get worn down. It's kind of like dogs having dew claws, that don't get worn down. Chicken claws that get too long can be clipped with a nail clippers sold for dog nails. Just don't cut too short and hit the vein that grows in the center. Just like for dogs.

Most chickens keep the nails on their feet worn down, but once in awhile, a particular chicken may have one that gets a little long. Mine don't wear them down as well during a long snowy winter as they do the rest of the year, either.

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My chicks (my first) are only four weeks old, but I can add this: if there is a puddle of caecal poop on the ground, of the four breeds I have, it is the Light Brahmas who will step in it with their lovely feathered feet. Every time.

10. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I have banty cochins, giant cochins, silkies and marans and I live in the very wet and muddy NW Washington. All of mine do great. They may get poopy or muddy feet, but it does not effect their health. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by