1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are fertile hatching eggs from whole foods a good idea.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BaileyBoy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    I just failed on my first batch of fertile eggs and i would like a new source as the one i tried had no signs of fertility whatsoever.
    do you think whole foods would be a good idea? I heard some people had quite the success.

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I read some of your last thread, you said you had some peeping, did nothing hatch? I would say the whole foods eggs would be worth a try I have heard of people having a few hatch from Trader Joe's fertile eggs but I wouldn't expect a 100% hatch from those, who knows how old they are. Are they white eggs? I'd assume they'd be leghorns?

3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You can always try. I'd expect their hatch rates would be lower than usual since they are refrigerated and you never know how old they are. Even if you've done everything perfectly, you may only get a few or none at all. But I'd say it's worth a shot :)

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can always try, but look for eggs marked fertile. Not all eggs at Whole Foods are. Organic does not mean fertile.

When the Farmer’s Market opens, ask around there for fertile eggs. Or get on your State thread in the Where am I? Where are you!” section and chat with people close to you that might have some fertile eggs. Or chat with people at the feed store. There is a reasonable chance somebody there can help you out or maybe they have a bulletin board where they will let post a notice. I think any of these are more likely to give you a better chance than just grabbing some from Whole Foods, but there is the chance that could work too.

Good luck with it.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yeah local farm fresh eggs for eating would be a good choice. All of my eggs I sell for eating are fertile. Mutts, but very fertile. :)

Just ask if they have roosters with their hens. I wouldn't necessarily tell them you are hatching their eggs... Or post an ad on kijiji or Craig's List and ask for fertile eating eggs. Very likely someone is looking for buyers. I always am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by