1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are fertilized eggs yucky to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texas_chick, Feb 28, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Wasn't sure how to word this -sorry!
    We got two Cuckoo Marans today and picked the darkest ones in hopes of getting pullets.
    But the two look so different from each other.
    I am thinking one might be a roo.
    So I am plotting to buy an acre of the ranch behind our property to get around the home owner's association restrictions.
    I thought it was brilliant! but then my husband said he won't eat eggs with 'stuff' in them.
    If I collect them daily then they should be okay even if fertilized right?
    No stuff?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We eat them every day, they taste the same.

3. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    fertile eggs are no different the unfertile eggs as far as eating,even if they set a day you can't see or tell anything [​IMG] they'll be fine and good eating

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
  4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:They are fine, even if fertilized. Some grocery stores sell fertilized eggs as a premium egg, so charge more for them.

Good luck with your devious plan to buy that acre! [​IMG]

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We and all our neighbors eat eggs with "stuff" in 'em. Just collect them everyday and you can't tell the difference. Ours even rummage through the mule poop and we still eat 'em.[​IMG]

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:You had to go and add that! [​IMG]

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    most every egg you buy is fertilized.
    Crack one open, look in the center of the yolk, see the white bullseye? That's the fertilized spot. I have yet to buy one that didnt have it.
    As long as you collect daily, and dont let the incubation process start, you will never tell the difference.
    Aubrey

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Aubrey,
    If I recall what I've read correctly, that white spot is not an indication the egg is fertile. That is the place where the sperm enters the yolk. Then, if it gets fertilized and faint ring forms around that spot and that's when you can tell they're fertile. Pretty sure that's what I read! [​IMG]
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/introducing_birds/eggs/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Commercial egg layer barns have caged hens without roosters - there is no way for fertilization to occur from commercial caged hens without a rooster.

10. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    so when you get an egg with a little bit of blood in it it means it's been brooded on ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by