1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Are first eggs normally smaller?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by briggate, Jul 30, 2010.

1. briggate

briggate In the Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    Last year we got 6 buff orpington hens at 26weeks - already laying wonderful large brown eggs. This year a friend raised 10 orpington chicks for us and we took posession of them at 6 weeks. They are in a pen with 2 older birds (last year's layers) and are just now laying. We got 2 new eggs this morning that are much smaller than the usual size for orpingtons. Is this normal?

2. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    yes, the first eggs are pitiful looking little things. As the bird matures, they will lay larger eggs. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Yes, what ekemily said! They're cute, those first eggs, but they'll get larger before too long.

4. briggate

briggate In the Brooder

May 29, 2009
    Rusk Texas
    Good - I'll look forward to that. In the meantime, these little ones are sure cute! As of today, 4 more have jumped on the bandwagon so I have LOTS of little eggs!

5. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    they are nice to blow out and keep for easter time since they are smaller and cute for little baskets and things.

6. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:they'd never last that long around here--nothing makes better eating than a frying pan with 8 or so pullet eggs, sunny-side up. Yum!

7. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Quote:they'd never last that long around here--nothing makes better eating than a frying pan with 8 or so pullet eggs, sunny-side up. Yum!

I know what you mean. You can still eat the egg though. You just blow it out into a bowl or something. [​IMG]
    It gets a little scrambled... [​IMG]

8. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    yup.... They can be small or shelless orlaid anywhere. But after the first few, they come in better size and laid in nestbox!

9. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Quote:I'm glad you added that "and laid in nestbox."
    I have a new batch of 20 hens that is just laying them all over the place. I don't remember having this problem with new layers. I've put fake eggs in the nest box and I've tried to make it more comfy for them. I pick up any wayward eggs as quickly as I can get to them. I hope it works and they get their act together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by