Are fish tanks really good homes for buttons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by laughingull, Feb 13, 2011.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Continuing in my pursuit of owning a pair of button quail, I am wondering if my stepfather's old fish tank would make a good enclosure. The tank is 3'long x 15" wide x 16" tall. I have read in many places that fish tanks are good housing for buttons but my concern is air circulation- is this a problem for buttons in fish tanks? I would love to hear your thoughts, I want my birds healthy/happy as possible. The fish tank I have is one that has plexi part way over the top as well with an opening to place the light on. I was not planning on including a light so I could make that part mesh for ventilation- but is that enough??? I assume ambiant light through the window would be enough? My house is not heated but where I am the temp rarely drops below 50 and never below 40 - will this be ok? If the temp gets down to 50 at night but they are in a tank on dry material with wee houses to tuck into for warmth will they stay healthy? sorry so many questions- to summarize my main concern is if fish tanks make healthy homes.

ps THANK YOU for all of your advice thus far!!! sorry for so many questions... I just want to do right by the featherballs

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I only recommend fish tanks for brooders because they keep the inner warm and nice for babies. A nice little parakeet cage will suffice for a pair of cbbq. They need the ventilation and air [​IMG]

3. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:Thank you again!!!! Your advice is very much appreciated!

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Quote:Thanks!I was wondering what would be the best brooder besides a cardboard box and it so happens that I have a 75 gallon empty fish tank in my room.

5. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    I Use I Tank And It Works Fine All You Need To Do Is If You Have An Old Fish Set Up Take The Air Pump And Route It It So They Get Fresh Air Thats What I Do

6. laughingull

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:Well thats an interesting solution! Is it noisy?

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    One of those things that put oxygen in the water work well. I think that's what you are talking about.

8. Little_Bigfoot

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    yeah, i had one and sold my fish so i took the air stone off the end and put it in, if you dont have one and you are going to buy one get one with rubber feet and put it on the floor to minimize vibration noise its not even noticeable.

9. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Will that help with any humidity issue? I have noticed that when I use aquariums for brooders, they get dampish fast (maybe because I live in the river bottoms?)
    I use aquariums as brooders, but my buttons are in a large flight cage (with finces) and seem to be doing very well.

10. Little_Bigfoot

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    I HAVENT HAD ANY ISSUES WITH HUMIDITY BUT I LIVE IN WASHINGTON [​IMG] , I DO CHANGE THE SAWDUST EVERY 4 DAYS AND I USE A T4 LOW HEAT EMISSION BULB MADE FOR SALT WATER TANKS, THE OTHER ISSUE YOU RUN INTO IS CLEANING, A LOT OF THE CHEMICALS IN CLEANERS ARE TO STRONG FOR SUCH AN INCLOSED AREA SO I GET A BOWL OF REALLY HOT WATER ADD A HALF CUP OF VINEGAR AND THEN A SQUIRT OF DISH SOAP (I USE DAWN) AND WIPE IT CLEAN WITH PAPER TOWELS FOR A SAFE AND STREAK FREE SHINE LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by