Are "fluffy" wood stove pellets okay to use as bedding for adult chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by darina, Jan 8, 2015.

1. darina

darina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2014
    My neighbor offered to give me wood pellets that have been water damaged and have turned to fluff instead of pellet form. He sets them in a bucket to dry out and saves them. I was wondering is there anything in wood stove pellets that is a "no-no" for chickens or for composting? I use the deep litter method in my hen house.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

2. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    They're compressed sawdust.

3. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I hope their ok. I am going to use them in the yard to keep the mud down. It's been awful!

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    A lot of people use them for horse bedding

5. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    Yeah. That's where my Husband got the idea for the chickens. I had a horse with Cushings that would flood her stall. I used them to absorb the liquid. I put it in there whole and she stomped it down making it fluffy.

6. darina

May 10, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your input. Excellent! I think it will be better for the deep litter because the particles are already so small that they will compost much better that way.

I love being able to get on the forum and learn every day. My parents had chickens when I was about 8 years old. I helped in caring for them, but I didn't exactly take notes and they don't remember a lot of particulars either!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Late getting here, but they should be fine. I have long used them for 'deep litter' bedding in my pigeon lofts.

8. darina

May 10, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your replies. So far the neighbor has not delivered any, but I buy pine shavings when needed, and I have straw in there from the summer, pine needles, leaves, shredded paper, etc.

So far it is not composting much. Most of the leaves and bits still look whole. Any suggestions? I usually go in there every two days and flip under the fresh droppings. I have even added already decomposed compost as a "starter" and so far, I'm not convinced it is breaking down, except by the actions of the chickens and I stirring it. Hmmmmm. Maybe my particles are too big? The leaves are a little smaller than maple leaves.

9. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I also used them for deep litter in my coop one year.

I did not like them, as they compressed much more than pine shavings, trapping moisture underneath.

When I turned them, I was greeted with a strong ammonia odor which never happened with the pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by