Are French Black Copper Marans usually flighty and nervous?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dette, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Dette

Dette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    About three weeks ago I got some BCMs from a local breeder along with some Lavender Orps...All the chicks were about three weeks old at the time.

Brought everyone home, and based on space, settled them into two separate brooders. (BCMs in one, Orps in the other) I interact with them the same, spend the same amount of time with them, giving them treats and getting to know them, but the Orps are super friendly and calm and the BCMs are still flighty and nervous, running to the other side of the brooder every time I come in.

Has anyone else had this reaction with them? This is my first time with BCMs but I assumed they would be more comfortable with my by now.

2. heirloomorps

heirloomorps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Brooksville, FL
    My Coop
    We haven't raised BCMs from chicks but we have raised Cuckoo Marans and they were the same - very flighty and nervous. They are about six weeks old now and STILL flighty and nervous around us. Whereas all our other chicks of various breeds are totally fine and behave so differently. It may be something do do with the Marans breed, I am not sure. Did you get all your chicks from the same person?

3. Dette

Dette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    I did get them from the same person, from James Meeks, in Cleveland, TN...I bought some of his Cottage Hill line.

I mentioned it to him, shortly after I bought them, and he said they are a little skittish at that age, but turn friendly...

I don't know either, I guess we will just have to wait and see, lol! Or maybe I can try mix and matching the Orps and BCMs to let the Orps
    teach them how to have manners? It might be worth a shot....[​IMG]

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I got my Marans as day olds. So I raised them from the start But I find my Marans to be very friendly sometimes overly friendly as they use me like a jungle gym and come when called. They always perch on me. My Daughter recently told me the kids on the bus think its funny because I carry the Rooster around and pet him like hes a cat lol. But Im sure the 3 weeks you didnt have your chicks could have made them the way they are. I bought 4 Japanese Bantams at the age of 5/6 weeks old And they were very skittish nervous and wouldnt come near us. They are now 19 weeks old and I try to interact with them the way I do my other chickens But they are still very nervous and scatter and fly into walls and ceiling if I move to quickly. Its a little frustrating But they are learning to tolerate me and will follow me around if they are free ranging. One of the roosters the other day jumped up on me. So slow progress I guess.

I do agree with maybe trying to mix the breeds they should hopefully pick up the good behavior Let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by