Are Frizzle Cochins Usually Runts?? Pictures!

ParrotsNPullets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Upstate New York
I purchased a nice assortment from MM hatchery, and I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the birds we ordered. The only thing that's puzzling me is our that adorable little red bantam Frizzle Cochin "Pippi" is such a tiny runt still!

She was hatched 5/1 just like the others, but my Belgian D'Uccles are even out-growing her! We have a bantam Golden Laced Cochin roo that is already nearing the size of our 1 year old BBS bantam Cochin, and I know boys run a bit larger, but shouldn't she be at least .... CLOSE to his size? Haha we love the little dear to death but she's so runty we've separated her from the rest of the bantam flock and brought her inside with our larger-but-sweet and also picked on Dark Brahma bantam roo because they've both had their lower backs plucked bare.

She seems to be pure bred and nothing about her screams crossbreeding to me. If anything she seems more pure than my Golden Laced roo that has a few white mottled feathers on his feet.

It has been really nice to have Pippi inside because she would always run away screeching from everything outside with the flock because she was picked on all the time. Indoors she's curious, bold, and almost assertive! We do hope she'll catch up with the others soon...

*Edited to add that she is a bantam as well, don't want to confuse anyone!*

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG01831.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

Last edited:
I think you just got a runt .. I didnt notice that my lil Partridge Cochin Bantam was overly small until my other bantams grew up all the way .. MAn she is tiny.. We named her Lil Bit and she really does live up to her name ...

Quote:
Aww. So I shouldn't hold out hope for a magical growth spurt then?
lau.gif

We're quite surprised by her because she was relatively large compared to the 10 Belgian D'Uccles as a chick and then she sort of just... stopped growing!
hu.gif

Quote:
Aww. So I shouldn't hold out hope for a magical growth spurt then?
lau.gif

We're quite surprised by her because she was relatively large compared to the 10 Belgian D'Uccles as a chick and then she sort of just... stopped growing!
hu.gif

Sadly mine worked the same way biggest feet and larger then the other chicks, then one day she just kinda stopped growing ... But she is sooo sweet and she is my youngest DS's "Pet" Chicken.. Anytime someone comes over that lil bugger will hunt her down to show her off... LOL

Just wanted to let you know that my sweet frizzle cochin bantam, BeBe, is wayyyy smaller than her hatch mates that are smooth feather... so, you are not alone. I think she is just adorable
smile.png
... you got me thinking though... I'm gonna contact the breeder I got the eggs from to see if this is a common occurrence.
24088_cochinbebe081010a.jpg

I heard back from the breeder that I got my eggs from
smile.png
. She said that in her experience they do sometimes take a little longer to grow and mature than smooth feather bantam cochins. She also said that some occasionally stayed a little on the smaller side as adults. I guess only time will tell. Either way they are just too cute!

She looks fine to me. My little Bantam Frizzle Cochins are tiny, even fully grown and laying eggs.

Fully grown male:

frizzle.jpg

My only frizzle came from an bantam assortment from Ideal poultry. He is much slower to feather in than his hatchmates, and he is also smaller compared to our other 2 cochins. Very cute IMO, but my husband thinks he's the ugliest thing ever lol.

Quote:
If you're referring to my photos, no, both are bantams - that's how tiny our little "Pippy" is.
smile.png

Hipeatall- Bebe looks adorable, and that's really interesting that your breeder has noticed the frizzles being a bit slow to grow/small as well. I'm not sure we would have purchased her knowing that before hand, but she's so sweet we'll figure something out so she can take her time growing without being bossed around by all the other bantams.

Dolly85- Mine is from McMurray Hatchery, so also interesting that yours is similar from Ideal. Our Golden Laced bantam roo is nearly full-sized and still growing- he would smoosh my poor frizzle if he tried to mount her.
tongue.png

Ruth- Wow what a handsome boy. My Pippy would be a good match for him (if she ever grows... lol!)
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom