Are Full Grown Jersey Giants Vulnerable to Hawks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Preservation Acres, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    That's basically the question. :)

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    A red-tail could take one down. Couldn't carry it off, but would eat what it could and take off.

Matt

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    They will take one out in a NY minute and eat it on the spot of the kill. Never think that your birds are too big for a Red Tailed hawk to kill. Neighbor saw one take out a wild turkey hen.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi Preservation Acres, what kinds of raptors have you seen in your area?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    The red tail hawk I have around here could carry a JG off no problem. It is Huge and I mean Huge. No i didnt mistake him for any other hawk he was 100% redtail.

6. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    We have a lot of Cooper Hawks around here & they don't even bother with our chickens. Our barn cats love the chickens & usually at least one cat is hangin out with them so I don't know if this is maybe scaring the hawks away.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I live about 50 miles from Preservation Acres so I can give you some insight to our raptors. We have several type of falcons but they are not a bother. We do have Osprey that are here year round up and down the Tennessee River Gorge. Bald Eagles have been back for the past decade or so, but I have never heard of them bothering anyones lifestock. Barred and Screech owls may take a bantam or two but I doubt it. Our main culprits are #1 the Red Tailed hawk, #2 Great Horned Owl we have Coopers Hawks as well but they have never been a bother other than to birds around my bird feeders. They love to take out the morning doves feeding around the base of them.

Hope this helps...

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:I live about 50 miles from Preservation Acres so I can give you some insight to our raptors. We have several type of falcons but they are not a bother. We do have Osprey that are here year round up and down the Tennessee River Gorge. Bald Eagles have been back for the past decade or so, but I have never heard of them bothering anyones lifestock. Barred and Screech owls may take a bantam or two but I doubt it. Our main culprits are #1 the Red Tailed hawk, #2 Great Horned Owl we have Coopers Hawks as well but they have never been a bother other than to birds around my bird feeders. They love to take out the morning doves feeding around the base of them.

Hope this helps...

Oh yeah, Red Tailed and Great Horned owls could spell trouble for your Jersey Giants. I too have a Cooper's that visits daily, but doesn't bother the chickens. Red Tailed and Great Horned owls are my biggest threats from the air too. Good luck Preservation acres!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by