ARE FULL GROWN MUSCOVY DRAKES BIGGER OR SMALLER THAN EASTER EGGER HENS?

Fawn and Fam

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I'm making my poop boards and wondering if I should make my Muscovy ones the same size as my Easter Egger ones which are 28" deep (16" from wall to roost and 12" from roost to ledge of poop board). Is that the right size or should I make the Muscovy ones less or more deep?

I've never had EEs but my Scovy drake was huge. I would think it would be bigger than a hen.

I don't have my Muscovy anymore but when I did have him I did not have any poop boards.

2 questions:
How far should my roost be from the wall to accommodate the tail feathers of a drake?

How wide (not long) should my poop board be (from wall to edge) to catch all poop and not miss and fall on the floor?

I don;t think you'll find it worth your time( i answered in your other thread on this) a "Scovie drake pretty much dwarfs any chicken, they are BIG boys and rarely past youth do much roosting.

I won't build my roosts to accommodate a drake then (thanks for the info). However the girls will want to roost correct? Should I build the roost and poop boards for the females according to the measurements in post #1 or make them bigger?

I won't build my roosts to accommodate a drake then (thanks for the info). However the girls will want to roost correct? Should I build the roost and poop boards for the females according to the measurements in post #1 or make them bigger?
I've had Muscovy's going on 10 yrs and none of mine have ever roosted in their house, I've never given them a roost they lay on the thick shavings and seem very content doing so. My girls love to snuggle down into the shaving to sleep and lay their eggs. Deep litter is the way to go.

You can but this depends on the bird, i do have a shelf in my barn it's you know i'd have to go measure lol but this is strictly a scovie barn. My girls roost on all sorts of things but not necessarily overnight more during the day... benches, playground, roofs...

bench out by my veg garden...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom