Are game birds good flock protectors?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by chickenchick98, Feb 7, 2017.

1. chickenchick98

chickenchick98 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Newcastle delaware
    Could i get a game bird from a hatchery with the same amount of gamenes? I want a bird that will go after people.. people have been breaking into my yard and trying to get to the coop.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

I bet they would. Some roosters are meaner than others, and in my experience, games will attack you if they think you're hurting one of their hens. They make for amazing roosters. RIR's tend to have a more aggressive nature, but I've had RIR boys that were nice, and another that was mean as heck, so it's still 50/50.

If you want something scary, get a couple of geese. They're way more territorial than chickens are. More work than chickens, but harder to shield yourself from, too.

3. chickenchick98

chickenchick98 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Newcastle delaware

I cant have geese or guinea fowl where im at

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Oh okay. If you just want a rooster who will protect the chickens if they're being "attacked" then a gamecock will serve your purpose. I'm pretty sure that the boy my neighbors have was at one point a fighter, but he won't attack just for the sake of attacking.

5. gojira

gojira Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Northeast Georgia
    Are you talking about gamebirds (quail, pheasants, etc.), or gamefowl? Gameness is towards other animals of the same species. Gameness is where an animal does not give up until it is dead, and has nothing to do with aggression. Gamefowl are usually bred to be calm with people. If you were to find one that is aggressive to people, it will be aggressive to you also. Gamefowl have enough problems already.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would get a game camera and get pictures of the trespassers and get the law involved.

Good luck

Gary

Must. Finish. Coop.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not sure what you think a 6-8lb rooster is going to do to prevent a human from breaking into your coop? sounds like a recipe for an injured or dead rooster to me.

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    The answer is no. Do as suggested and install a camera or two. Call the police. That is what you do about trespassers. Anyway, The games I've owned were docile to humans which is the way they have been bred to be (i.e. The opposite of what you believe).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by