Are Games mean...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ameraucanacrazy, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i was thinking about getting some game chickens and i was wondering about their temperment

i was thinking of getting either american games or asils

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wouldn't even attempt to put my hand under a broody game without a leather glove on.

4. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    your right a picture is worth a thousand words

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:Check out this video, too. It is worth the time to take a look even if you do not watch the entire video.

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I had an oriental game that attacked my wife, knocking her down and repeatedly spurring her on the ground. She called for our dog who ran off the rooster. A picture's worth a thousand words:

[​IMG]

7. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    If raised well games are supposed to be very loyal birds.

8. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Yep they make amazing mothers. My hen got her chest ripped open by a dog protecting her eggs. She lived and hatched out the eggs too. She was a fantastic mother. She once raised 21 chicks and all of them lived. [​IMG]
    The two roosters we had that were American Game were very protective, and would do anything for their flock. They were fine around us, but they didnt really care too much about being pet or anything. They would eat out of my hand, but that was pretty much about it. But they wouldnt come out and just attack for no reason.
    But when raised well, they can be very nice chickens. I had a little game pullet and a game cockerel and they were as both as sweet as they could be [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If raised correctly they are very loyal birds... [​IMG]
    I have American and Oriental game and I have never had a problem with them and I have 2 kids ages 2 and 4..

Now you go stickin you hand under a broody hen or mess with her clutch of chicks and yes you might just get hit a few times.
    But that comes with having a good mother hen..

Chris

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hello Neighbor. The guys are trying to tell ya that games are people friendly. There is a reason that games are much more people friendly than some barnyard types. That reason is that cockers just don`t tolerate manfighters. Any rooster that shows aggression towards a human is culled immediately. Can you immagine in the old days when cockfighting was legal, setting down a manfighter cock in the pit, equipped with your weapon of choice? Guarrenteed it would be worse than sack of wildcats. Ya just can`t have mean gamecocks. Consequently, there are many more mean barnyard types and you read about them many times a day in the BYC forum. Never hear of a mean gamecock. I`m sure they show up sometimes, but not with the frequency of say, a RIR or Barred Rock rooster. Now they are brave and they are testy and ya can`t keep one in the same pen with your other roosters, period. They don`t play well with others. That said, they are gorgeous and proud and attitude in person. American games are more frisky than orientals. As long as you like a spirited chicken, games are great. Ya just gotta expect it. I love gamefowl, they are my passion. Asils are my ideal, and even though I am quite fond of any oriental, I gave away all my barnyard fowl years ago so I could spend more time with my gamefowl. You`ll love`m too..........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by