Are Geese a threat to chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by noitulover, Jan 21, 2011.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I read on here once awhile back, about someone's geese drowning their chickens. When hawks/vultures/etc. fly over, my chickens don't bat an eye (my rooster gets a little protective, but the hens don't notice at all). When a flock of Canadian Geese fly overhead, my chickens ALL run for cover...

I've never had any chickens lost to geese (or hawks/owls/vultures/etc. for that matter), but my flock sure doesn't like them. Anyone else noticed the fear of geese in their flock?

Also, they don't do run for cover when flocks of other migratory birds or ducks fly over. It is ONLY Canadian Geese.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Nope - Here I have guess, ducks, chickens, goats, horses, sheep all living in harmony..

It is amazing when our Draft horses are in their stalls eatting their grain and the floor is covered with geese, chickens and ducks waiting for what falls. I used to worry about them getting stepped on, but the horses are very aware of them and always very careful.

The only time I could see a goose hurting a hen is if they try to mate with her. That could be a problem. but never witnessed that here. I have had a goose try to mate one of the ducks.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The only threat wild geese or ducks or doves or pigeons are to your birds lies in what microbes they bring in. It'd not a good idea to let them mix for that reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by