Are geese agressive?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by J's Orpingtons, Nov 14, 2011.

1. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    i was thinking of getting a pair of chinease geese ,,,, but then someone said that they have a bad temperament [​IMG] so i was wondering is this true? what breed do you recommend? Thanks

~J's Orpingtons

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Canadian Geese are.. [​IMG]

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    We had a Chinese goose growing up. And yes, they can be aggressive. But they can also be incredibly loving.

They are very curious and love to nibble. My mom used to give Lucy a quick little swat across the beak if she was doing something we didn't want her to do. If you are used to chickens pecking at your fingers, it's not much worse, but it would surprise and frighten a child so be careful in that area. But she came to know us really well and was very sweet to us. She always came over to say hello and see if we had treats. She'd follow us around and talk to us.

Now if she didn't know you, she'd HONK very loudly and you could totally tell the difference between the two and you knew if a stranger was coming into the gate. We frequently found some poor salesman cornered by her in the yard and she'd be honking and standing tall and she'd go for the, how do I politically correctly say, "sensitive areas" of an individual if she didn't like the look of you.

She laid these HUGE eggs. I don't remember how often but I would say a couple each week. And she had a maternal side to her. We brought home some silkie chicks one time and she could hear them peeping in the house. She went NUTS. Mom didn't know what to do so she gathered the chicks in her hands and sat down outside. Lucy took the chicks from her and wouldn't give them back. She wound up raising those silkies. It was very sweet.

Unfortunately, she didn't get locked up one night and a raccoon got her. So very, very sad. Here are a couple of images of her. Sorry for the poor quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Have you ever seen a photo of a Sebastapol Goose. LOVE the look of those guys with those ruffly feathers.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I went to pick up two silkies from a friend, and he has these geese and they honked at me VERY loudly. It was dark and they were VERY loud [​IMG]

6. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Thanks TSG so should I get Chinease geese? I'm a kid myself [​IMG]

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    J's Orpingtons :

Thanks TSG so should I get Chinease geese? I'm a kid myself [​IMG]

If you are committed to getting a goose, I say go for it. We loved our Lucy the Loose Goose and she was a wonderful pet to have.​

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've had several different geese breeds. To this day I've never had an aggressive goose. They get a little moody during breeding season but this is Minimal. I believe as long as you raise it from a young age and give it lots of attention it should be fine. Just make sure he/she knows that you are still the boss. If you do this you can have a wonderful pet goose.

9. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I'm no expert, but I believe geese have been used as guard animals like dogs. I wouldn't mess with a goose. I think they are wonderful creatures and have considered it, but we have a small yard and I know there would be goose poop everywhere.

10. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    They do poop everywhere. People used to ask my mom all the time, is your goose potty trained? She'd answer why yes she is. To the walk leading up to the back door.

Needless to say, it had to be hosed off daily. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by