are geese as messy as ducks??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jackrooster, Oct 29, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Im getting a pair of Mini Geese and i was wondering how i should set up there water?? Are they as messy as ducks? i was gonna put the water inside buut i really dont want the place to be a watery mess ??

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep they are just like young ducklings or duck's. LOL sorry.I raised 24 babie's and [​IMG].They were worth the work though.Hope they do great for you Congrat's.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    More messy- they are bigger.[​IMG]

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I set up food and water stations inside plastic crates like on this link: http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id95.html

I cut one side out of a plastic box and placed the bowl there. It drastically reduces the perimeter of the mess, and it's easy to clean. Water stays inside the box. Voila!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Link doesn't go anywhere.

And yes, they are just as messy if not more so since they are bigger.

6. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Link doesn't go anywhere.

Oops, corrected now... [​IMG]

7. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a goose and a duck and the goose is more messy. at night the ducks is asleep with the chickens but the goose is up half the night preening with her water and making a big wet mess. they are a lot bigger so the poops are bigger, but they easier to clean up because they are not wet and stinky like a ducks.

8. HomegrownCaSW

HomegrownCaSW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    About three years ago I bought McMurray's package which included 5 African geese and 5 Pekin ducks. The ducks were very clean yet very filthy guests. On my property I put a 10x10 pond for the geese/ducks. The ducks were always clean, hogged the pond, and reminded me of guests that always looked great but trashed the joint. I waited until the 1 drake and his 4 hens reached slaughter age and that was that. 4 pds. 3.5 pds. 3.pds and two 2.5 pds. The Pekin ducks went into the freezer. The geese were far cleaner to keep and less noisy.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  9. HomegrownCaSW

HomegrownCaSW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    I tried twice to buy Muscovy ducks and both times the ducklings were mailed to me dead. Please tell me how you received or purchased yours.
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by