1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are geese or turkeys good predator protectors

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hlzuma, Dec 29, 2007.

1. hlzuma

hlzuma New Egg

Dec 28, 2007
    Just wondering if anyone houses geese or turkeys WITH their chickens to protect against snakes or rats? Will this work?
    Thank you!

2. beekybuzzard

beekybuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    SC
    Not really the best idea to keep chickens and turkeys together because of passing disease from one to the other. When we go from one type of farm to the other we have to disenfect the truck and trailer each time to make sure none passes to the other. Guineas would be a good choice though, thats what I use. I have 8 and they are pure heck on snakes.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My neighbor does and it appears to work well, but the bigger birds also seem to catch the eyes of bigger things, such as passing dogs, foxes and so forth.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Short answer: NO!
    My goose hauls *ss while the ducks, chickens, or turkey is taken. Turkeys were the 1st taken by predators. Goose won't even alarm until AFTER predator is gone and she knows its safe to come out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by