Are goats/mini mules good guardians for chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by domromer, Dec 5, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My wife and I are in the process of buying a farm. We plan on getting chickens again and I was thinking of either getting 2 goats or 2 mini donkeys. The coop will be a part of the barn where the other stock will live and then they can free range in the pasture together during the day. I've heard that that goats and other smaller stock are good at keeping predators away from the hens. has anyone else found this to be true?

2. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Never had goats but sounds like a good coop plan.[​IMG]
    Larra

3. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Pygmy goats do not stop foxes ![​IMG]

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I have 2 pygmies living with my chickens, and have never had a predator problem. We hear coyotes at night, and see them not far from the barn every so often. We just saw 2 last weekend about 200 feet from my chicken yard. I don't know if the goats keep them away, but I tend to think they do. I know I will never get rid of them for this reason. [​IMG]

Paula

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Well I would say since goats need something to protect them from preditors that they would not be good guardians (also it is very difficult to keep them out of the chicken feed). I've known of donkeys used as guardians for goats and sheep (don't really know on chickens), but I've also heard of them hurting and killing baby goats and lambs.

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I'm thinking about adding a pair of goats in the spring and would love for someone to elaborate on the predator proof effect of goats, if there is any....

7. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I have both goats and mini donkeys in the same area with my poultry. The billy is great about chasing off raccoons, foxes, ect. I dont think he will actually do anything to them if he ever catches them, but the does will ram anything that messes with them so they are a decent choice. On the other hand my mini donkeys will attack anything that comes into the pen. If you havent seen it, it is actually pretty funny to see a coyote running and a herd of mini donkeys in pursuit just stomping away. I have no problems with any ground animals trying to get my poultry, and I have found that I have very few hawk problems when my poultry is close to either the goats or donkeys. Hope this helps.

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Yes it does! Thanks. I never really thought about it to tell you the truth...

9. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have LGD's and they do the protecting of the chickens and goats...they do a wonderful job and they even watch out for the horses too...Dogs are better I think as my goats are scared and big chickens...cept for the herd queen...but dont think she would go for a predator...My males took out a skunk this summer as it was going thru their pen on the ay to the coop. I have 4 big dogs and now 6 puppies....

10. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:I can't imagine in a million years my goats protecting anything, except maybe the feed that their eating at that particular time. hehe. I think you're best bet is donkey or mule. We'll be getting one "someday". I have to say, tho...That my grandmother had goats, and she had my aunts big horse (don't know what kind) in with it. And that horse didn't let anything happen to her (the horses) goats. SHe considered them hers, I believe. It was pretty cool. She always kept an eye out and would come strolling up when people were around the goats. She was a regular horse maybe 13 hands? I also think lamas are meant to be pretty good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by