Are Gold Sex-Links Called Golden Comets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crait, Mar 23, 2009.

1. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I haven't been able to figure this out. The more I research the more confused I become. [​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yes I think they are. Maybe just one hatchery has a special line and calls them golden comets rather than sex links.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it is a trademarked name. like Kleenex is Facial Tissue. it's a branded item. [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    For all practical purposes yes, if you say gold comet those in the know will know what you mean.

AL

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Golden Comets are Red Sex Links. They are bred by crossing a white mother with a red father. They are hybrids and will NOT breed true.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Golden Comets are Red Sex Links. They are bred by crossing a white mother with a red father.

then what is a gold sex link? Do they differ from red sex link?​

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Katylester, there are also Sil-Go-Links. That would be "Silver Gold Sex-links."

At one time, I thought this would be a clearer way of defining a sex-links in general since it is apparently the "silver factor" that determines the sex-link characteristic and the "reds" are referred to genetically as "golds."
    I am no longer sure if there is any clearer way of talking about sex-links [​IMG]. These are hybrid birds so there is no breed standard that the hatcheries are trying to live up to. They may want to set themselves apart in naming these birds. And, they seem to be coming up with more names!

No doubt, each major hatchery has its own strains for producing their own sex-links. They are no longer simple crosses of heritage breeds altho' if that is done, the offspring will show sex-linked characteristics and you may as well call them something.

Perhaps this should be up to BYC and we could set our own standards [​IMG]!

Steve

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yeah, the sex link thing is a good way to say mixed breed (depending on who you are dealing with). The whole silver factor throws me off on the sex links.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    DIfferent hatcheries use different breeds (and brand name them) to create sex-linked birds in black and red. Gold/buff is a dilute of red, and merely adds variation to the colours available; it doesn't affect the sex-link genetics.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    So then can we safely say that a sex link is a RIR cross?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by