Are Gold Sex-Links Called Golden Comets?

crait

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I haven't been able to figure this out. The more I research the more confused I become.
gig.gif

For all practical purposes yes, if you say gold comet those in the know will know what you mean.

AL

Golden Comets are Red Sex Links. They are bred by crossing a white mother with a red father.

then what is a gold sex link? Do they differ from red sex link?​

Katylester, there are also Sil-Go-Links. That would be "Silver Gold Sex-links."

At one time, I thought this would be a clearer way of defining a sex-links in general since it is apparently the "silver factor" that determines the sex-link characteristic and the "reds" are referred to genetically as "golds."
I am no longer sure if there is any clearer way of talking about sex-links
idunno.gif
. These are hybrid birds so there is no breed standard that the hatcheries are trying to live up to. They may want to set themselves apart in naming these birds. And, they seem to be coming up with more names!

No doubt, each major hatchery has its own strains for producing their own sex-links. They are no longer simple crosses of heritage breeds altho' if that is done, the offspring will show sex-linked characteristics and you may as well call them something.

Perhaps this should be up to BYC and we could set our own standards
wink.png
!

Steve

Yeah, the sex link thing is a good way to say mixed breed (depending on who you are dealing with). The whole silver factor throws me off on the sex links.

Last edited by a moderator:
DIfferent hatcheries use different breeds (and brand name them) to create sex-linked birds in black and red. Gold/buff is a dilute of red, and merely adds variation to the colours available; it doesn't affect the sex-link genetics.

Back
Top Bottom