1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are grape skins toxic to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by javagirl77, Sep 21, 2015.

1. javagirl77

javagirl77 New Egg

Jun 28, 2015
    I have had a couple young hens die recently and just wondered if it might have anything to do with giving them the skins after grapes are pressed?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Mine eat grapes from the grapevines and do fine.

Could they have choked on them? I am not sure. I am sorry for your losses!

3. javagirl77

javagirl77 New Egg

Jun 28, 2015
    Thank you - just trying to narrow the possibilities :/

4. Alagrace

Alagrace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Do you feed them any other house scraps?

5. Maikan

Maikan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Ireland
    My chickens young n old love grapes ans even pick them from the vine themselves. They also eat mixed kitchen scraps , today's treat will be the heads n shells from the prawns I cooked last night. It'll be party time for them as this is one of there fave foods.

6. Alagrace

Alagrace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Mine have eaten grapes too, and they love them! And, they also eat a variety of table scraps. The only thing I have heard not to give any birds/chickens is Avocado because its poisons to them. Hope you figure out what it is.

7. javagirl77

javagirl77 New Egg

Jun 28, 2015
    Thanks to all - yes, they do get other kitchen and garden scraps and seem to love them. Oooh, mine really like the shrimp heads and shells too - it has been awhile, I need to buy some :)

8. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    mine eat grapes regularly without any problems. was there any mold on the skins? did they lay around for a couple of days or did they eat them right away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by