Are guinea fowl good watch dogs??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by jackrooster, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Are guinea fowl good birds that let the flock know when something is wrong or a predator is around??

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    oh yes! The best. Mine tell everybody when there is a hawk or even someone they don't know.

3. Depends on HOW MANY you have. The more the merrier. The chickens DO learn to take a hint from the Guineas. If a hawk is about the Guineas absolutely loose their "Little" collective minds.

4. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! If I bring someone down to the coop they dont know the squack for a while until they learn you mean no harm.

5. newchickengirl

newchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Id say that they are excellent alarmers![​IMG] I got 6 of them in September at about 2 months so there almost full grown now body wise anyways. I love them. They alert at anything and sometimes just alert cause they want to. They ran off a few stray cats that tried to eat My chickens.

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    My grandma has 46 guineas I dont know how to tell if they are alarming or not they never shut up. lol

7. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:I've got about 60. It gets quieter...never absolute quiet. But if you are any where near when they are upset you literally can not hear yourself think. I've seriously gotten confused while try to do things while they are all going off in my face. lmao

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by