Are Guineas SUPPOSED to smell bad?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by sparkles2307, May 14, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

The guinea keets we just got smell BAD. Like, rank dog-poop bad. I thought they would be just like chickens, if not cleaner and less smelly... granted, they were stressed and in a box, but they were only in the box for maybe 10 minutes and it was so bad that we had to open the window in the pickup. DH said I cant keep them if they are going to smell like this. Is it because they werent eating the right food or stress or what?

2. sparkles2307

Oops forgot to add there are 4-5 2week olds and 7-8 2day olds...

3. My keets don't smell. The keets themselves smell like chicks - a little feathery. The poop smells like poop - but it's certainly not worse than chicks!

If yours smell really bad, I would worry that they are diseased. Maybe someone else will have more hopeful advice?

4. whitecra

whitecra Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Mine didn't smell bad at all. I don't know what to tell you.
    Chris

5. sparkles2307

Crap! Well, I will check tonight, after they have had a full 24 hours in the brooder to see if they still smell.... if they do, I guess I wont be adding the new chicks to THAT brooder...

6. Let us know how they do!

7. sparkles2307

well now I'm all in a sweat to get home and sniff my guineas.....Does that make me a huffer?

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. lorad

lorad Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Edelstein, IL
    Mine don't smell until you try to handle them- I don't know if they let loose with stools or what but they are bad smelling when scared. The birds are healthy, 1-2 years old, and quite happy until you try to catch them. Between the smell and the claws, gloves are a good idea when handling them. Ick..
    Lora

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Mine don't smell any worse then chicks. In fact, the adult guinea poop is quite a bit smaller then the golf ball size poo's my roo's drop every where! [​IMG]

10. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

Mine also smelled bad when we brought them home. Stress, maybe or the conditions they were in? This morning there is no smell at all. How are yours doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by