Are Guineas susceptible to blackhead?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by cgmccary, Jan 23, 2011.

1. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I know Guineas can get blackhead but are they as susceptible to it as turkeys? Anyone had their Guineas to get blackhead? Thanks in advance.

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    i waS WONDERING THE SAME THING! oops hit the caps lock lol

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I got 4 BR turkeys (2 Jakes; 2 Jennys) in December,all juveniles not laid first egg but probably 6-7 months old & a little more than a week ago (so about a month after getting them); I really like them. They are incredibly tame and easy going. I noticed one of the Jennys was acting all droopy and lethargic. I checked the poop under where she had roosted and found the distinctive yellow sulfur poop.

It was Sunday before last so I called around and finally got a Vet to call me back & then to meet me at his office same day and sell me some medication (250 mg dimetridazole tablets -- actually 500 mg which I broke in half) which I started her on that very afternoon. The Jenny was not eating or drinking so I just put the tablet down her throat and she swallowed. She was better the next day but it took 2-3 days for the sulfur yellow poop to disappear. I kept her on it 8 days, 1/2 500 mg tablet put in her mouth, and the Jenny completely recovered, is doing fine & back out running around with the other turkeys. While she was quarantined, I de-wormed everything else with ivermectin & am going to worm again with Safeguard.

No Guinea nor the other 3 turkeys have shown any sign of the illness. I am giving the turkeys away to my friend because I understand blackhead pretty much stays on premises (and it was probably here before because chickens were here before we moved to the place -- never been any turkeys or Guineas here). I don't want to have to be constantly on guard against the disease with the turkeys as greatly impressed as I am with them.

I am hoping the Guineas are NOT as susceptible because they were hatched on my place in August and all have been healthy & active. Since nobody has had Guineas with blackhead, thus far, perhaps they are less susceptible. Mine were hatched and raised right in the coop with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by