Are gutting and peeling ducks any different than chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jason_mazzy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I have a large peking Drake I may be willing to do away with in as I am thinking of replacing him with a few welsh harlequins. The peking and a cayuga I have are so large compared to my khakis, that I figure if I'm gonna lay one down to get more ducks it should be the only breed that doesn't have any mallard in it. Seeing as the cayuga and the welsh's and the khakis can make a pretty cross I figure the Peking is my only choice left. So I am wondering if it is as simple as gutting, removing the head and scalding the bird (then plucking), or if there is more things I should consider when butchering? Yes this will be my first duck. But I have done small hand birds before.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    guessing it is the same by lack of replies lol

3. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    I've never butchered ducks, so take this with a grain of salt, but i think i heard that ducks are a little different when it comes to scalding and plucking since their feathers are oily and water proof.

4. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Older ducks are more difficult to pluck.
    Add drop of dish detergent to scald water.
    Dip in and out several times.
    Increase scald temp around 155.

Good Luck

5. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    With ducks, I skin them. I open the skin up below the neck and peel it back. Cut out the breasts. Then continue the skinning and pull back over the legs after cutting off the legs at the first knee. Cut off the leg quarters. No muss, little blood and very little guts. Works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by