Are hatcheries good or not so good?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jstinsmommy, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jstinsmommy

jstinsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    I have two kids in 4-h that do show hens. All of my hens in my backyard we have gotten from a fairly local hatchery. I love my girls. My son is looking to show a bantam size Easter egger. I have been looking around and they seem to be pretty scarce (or I'm not looking in the right spot). I am in central California. I found a web site called California hatcheries that seems to have them. However I haven't heard good thing about big hatcheries. Are they bad? I'm just looking for a different chicken that I don't see around fair much.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hatcheries can be a great source for backyard birds. However, they are not a good source for birds for exhibition. Find a breeder and you will get much better quality birds for your kids.

Easter Eggers are not a recognized breed; if your son wants a breed that lays blue eggs, he should get an ameraucana or an araucana. Both come in largefowl and bantam.

3. jstinsmommy

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you for the info. I think we will start our search for something else. Any recommendations. Here is what I am looking for:
    Bantam size, no feathered feet, something that can go outside with my other hens (I have a mixture of standard sizes & bantams), my son doesn't like the ones that have (what he calls..) crazy hair, lol, and hopefully something that has a good demeanor. Any suggestions?

4. jstinsmommy

Dec 13, 2012
    any recommendations?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by