Are hatchery chicks necessarily siblings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LocoPollo, Nov 25, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I am guessing probably not, due to their volume, but I just wanted to see what yall think.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    hmmm, I would guess some are and some arent (if that makes any since) I would guess they get 1000's of eggs a day so most wouldnt really be but some could. Hope my confusing post helps !!

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I know there are definite possibilities that they are siblings. I know that Cackle Hatchery uses many different breeders when they put eggs in for a hatch. Sure they can be and sure maybe not. If you were a breeder there is no problem using siblings to breed because you would be trying t eliminate a certain trait or bring out other traits. So I guess it is all just an issue if it is a moral problem. Hope this helps.

4. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Thanks! Yea I am thinking for breeding. Just wondering if there is enough mix in the speckled sussex I got from cackle hatchery. I think I am just gonna go ahead and breed them and not worry about it.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Very good question! I had wondered that myself!

6. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    No. As an earlier post noted, hatcheries use numerous breeders. That explains the wide mixture in chicks that were listed as "straight run". Thatʻs straight run from the incubator, not from a single hen or even flock. The good news is that this helps with genetic diversity and keeping the stock strong. The bad news (or sometimes funny news) is that almost every order will have one or two odd-ball chicks that just make you scratch your head.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I would guess most are no more than half siblings because with the number of eggs they set they are probably setting nearly every day's collection. So each egg would be from a different hen. It's not like small flocks where you store eggs for 5-7 days to get enough to set and have multiple eggs from the same hen and roo combo in every batch of same age chicks. Each hatch is probably only 1 or 2 eggs from each hen.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:You will be fine breeding, You can breed chickens to each other for about 3 genarations.

9. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    maybe half as in same dad,but that is even unlikely do to large volume of eggs hatched,if they hatch 500 out of the same incubator the odds are very slim you get any related

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Most hatch on weeky. Eggs are gather for a week from flocks of thousands of hens,and hundreds of roosters.

Would be odd to get siblings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by