are hay sweepings ok for the chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Nov 28, 2007.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What about the fine, almost dusty stuff you lose from hay when you take the bale apart to feed it to horses. This is mostly grass hay with just a little if any alfalfa in most of it. I could screen it to keep out longer hay strands, and I could moisten the fine stuff if it'd make it easier for chickens to eat and less dusty.

My older TB sometimes chokes if I feed it to him (used to mix it with his grain) so I have to keep this really fine stuff away from the horses, but it seems a shame to just compost it if chickens will eat it... but then I don't want to hurt the chickens... what do you think?

Pat

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Mine love it....they pick though it and scratch it and eat the seeds. I regularly take my horse hay dropping and throw a bit into the run. It's all dirt anyway and I've had no health issues at all, knock on wood.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    If you just throw that in their run they will have a ball scratching all over the place. It has never harmed mine in any way.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I used to get hay for my chickens,not anymore. [​IMG] Mine usually end up with impacted crops. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by