Are heat plates less likely to catch fire than red heat lamps?

Are heat plates less likely to catch fire than red heat lamps? I am considering getting a heat plate than a red bulb because it seems safer.
Yes. They are not only much safer, they more closely mimic the natural heat source for a chick and consume less energy.

I just discovered my heater plate won't heat at all if the ambient temperature is too cool. Inside the house it's fine. But outside in a brooder coop, nada. Might just be the brand I bought --- but be aware, everyone, if you're reading this and plan to use a heater plate outdoors, it needs to be tested outdoors for 24 hours before you trust it.

I just discovered my heater plate won't heat at all if the ambient temperature is too cool. Inside the house it's fine. But outside in a brooder coop, nada. Might just be the brand I bought --- but be aware, everyone, if you're reading this and plan to use a heater plate outdoors, it needs to be tested outdoors for 24 hours before you trust it.
Did you test it or are you basing that on the manufacturer’s information?
I ask because mine says not to use it below 60 degrees but in reality it was fine in the 40s.

Did you test it or are you basing that on the manufacturer’s information?
I ask because mine says not to use it below 60 degrees but in reality it was fine in the 40s.
I put it in an outdoor brooder coop with 29 chicks 2-weeks-old, along with a heat lamp for backup. It was working fine last night (40-s) and this morning, but this afternoon (48-deg) it would not get up to temp; only barely warm at all to the touch. I then remembered that I tried this with a previous group of chicks, and it did the same thing. I brought it back inside, and it works fine in my basement. Raised two broods of chicks so far, indoors.

Back
Top Bottom