1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are hens eating eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sherris Backyard Beauties, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Are hens eating eggs? I just went in to collect my eggs for the day, I range between 5-7 a day. I took out 1 lone egg that was in there and it was covered in yolk and a few broken egg shells. Do hens or a rooster eat eggs? Do you think I have a predator that would only eat eggs and not my chickens? I am not missing any chickens.? I'm confused, sorry if anyone thinks my questions are silly, but I'm curious if anyones had the same problem.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Some hens do get in the habit of eating eggs. It might just be a mistake - one getting broken by accident, or may be a purposeful thing if you have an egg eater in your bunch.

Probably starts when an egg gets accidentally broken, and then one or more of them figure out how good they are.

Anyway, if you do a search you'll find a lot of tips for breaking egg eaters. The easiest is just to collect eggs very frequently. There are others involving cayenne pepper, etc to break habitual egg breakers/eaters.

Good luck - and ask away! That's not a silly question by any means!

Oh, and there are predators that do eat eggs only - sometimes rats, possums, also snakes, etc, but your description sounds more like a chicken at work to me...

3. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    I had chickens back in the seventies (I'm old I know) but when they started eating their eggs a farmer told me to buy oyster shell, put a handfull in their feed, and that did the trick.
    caroline

4. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Sounds like they are eating them to me. That happened to me all the time. I could never stop the egg eaters either. So i did a couple of things. First I tried the golf ball in the nest thing, when that didn't work I sat and watched my girls and figured out who was doing it. Then I put an egg on the floor and watched to see which ones started pecking at it and trying to get it. After I found out who it was (five different hens) I penned them up together. They are all going to be soup or bbq soon if they don't cut it out, but I'm now getting more eggs.

I've also started gathering eggs three times a day. I've found that helps because they aren't just sitting there with a big sign saying eat me! LOL [​IMG]

5. Sherris Backyard Beauties

Sherris Backyard Beauties Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2007
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    yesterday, I caught my Polish Roo sitting in the nestbox like he was trying to lay an egg. I had already collected them. Today though I didn't make it out till after 3 pm, so maybe thats why he was in there. He left the box so clean though, there was only egg yolk and a couple pieces of shell stuck on the single egg sitting there. Thats what had puzzled me. So I threw away the yolky egg because I was afraid it could have been a possom or something. Then I had this thought, yesterday I found this in my backyard! But they usually eat bugs, veggies and fruit. Plus I don't think he can fit through the little hole to the chicken coop. He was about 3 1/2 feet long.
    [​IMG]

6. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    When I had an egg eater she would eat the whole egg and there would just be a wet spot in the nest. Though when i had a skunk visiting every night he would just eat the inside of the egg and leave the shell.

7. SunsetChickens

SunsetChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    Menlo Park, CA
    Sherri, WHAT IS THAT?? That was in your backyard?

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

9. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm surprised your hens were laying eggs at all with that near them!!! [​IMG]

I think your roo was hiding from it....

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:It's an iguana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by