Are Hens Less Broody With Laying Mash???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TommyVT05, Feb 26, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    My hens...none of them are broody yet. 3 have laid so far, 2 stopped and have seen no sigh of egg sitting. Does the diet have to do with it? I had hens in the past that I didn't give laying mash to and they LOVE sitting...
    - Tommy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It will depend on the breed and the strain of which your birds are from. Food, as long as it meets their nutritional requirement has nothing to do with it as it's all in their little heads.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    None of the breeds in you signature list are commonly heavy broodies.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never had a problem with the hens being on a layer and going broody...but I have brahmas, buff orps and blue orps.....

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't think the breeds you have go broody as and often as a lot of other types of chickens - say orpingtons for example. Feed type does not induce broodiness.

6. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Thanks!

I know that some Phoenix and Longtailed birds don't go broody but I know for SURE that Jungle Fowls are! 99% of the time, they hatch their batches because they must do so in the wild to reproduce correctly right? Here, I have TWO Jungle Fowl hens that are laying...one stopped a couple days ago...and havn't gone broody.

I guess it could be that its too early in the season?
    Its been raining a lot here last week but this week and for a next couple weeks...its should be in the 70s daytime and 50s nightime.

- Tommy

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Their decision to go broody has more to do with length of daylight than anything else-triggers a hormonal change. It's a bit early for them to want to set right now. There are exceptions of course-like the R I Red Bantam hen of mine that's been clucking all winter!
    Some breeds are more likely than others to go broody. I don't know about Jungle Fowl as I've never raised them. Modern Game Bantams however tend to go broody. The problem is they can only cover 3 or 4 eggs.

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Some of the game breeds will only go broody after they lay their clutch(group of eggs). This can take up to 3 weeks. If you have this breed, leave the eggs alone. If you keep collecting them,they will never think they have a clutch. Also,alot of these breeds know their own eggs and will not hatch out eggs belonging to other hens.

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I read that hens go broody when they are stressed out and need a vacation. But it is a posibility That Mash distracts them from going broody

10. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Lol.

Cool

Thanks all!

- Tommy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by