Are hens rejecting my roo ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TNBlacktails, Jan 21, 2013.

1. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    My roo Bocephus was mounting my hens like crazy and hes started to try and crow but now (about 2 weeks later) the hen stopped laying and he stopped mounting them. Yesterday and today everytime he grabs a hold of their back feathers to mount the girls they squawk and run off ; is he not trying anymore or are they rejecting him? Any help would be helpful THANKS.

2. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    My original 3, 1 roo and 2 hens Rachel was always with the roo and Phoebe wanted nothing to do with him and like yours she would run/sqwuak when he tried to mount her. He is just not what they are looking for in a mate. Our new hens, he had little to do with, Rachel did not allow it.

It's a good thing the roo is not needed in order for them to lay. Wish you luck.

3. TNBlacktails

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    What gets me is they was letting him now they aint ? Im just dumbfounded idk what to do,I cant get a new roo dont have have the money.

4. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Is there maybe someone near by that is run over with roos and would like to give one away? I took 4 back to the feed store because I did not know anyone that wanted them or one. Maybe someone would swap you another roo for yours? I now have another hen that started to mount the others.Go figure that one out.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Bocephus is immature if just started crowing. By time he is 8 months old he will be more compitent and hens will no longer avoid him.

1 person likes this.
  6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have a rir roo about the same age and can tell you that he has only one thing on his mind. The girls will submit to him but get to a point where enough is enough and react the same way. As he gets older things will settle down, most roos will mellow out a lot by the time they reach 12 months.

1 person likes this.
  7. TNBlacktails

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by