Are her intestines coming out!? *graphic img*

Moonkit

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Richardson, Texas
One of my silver laced wyandottes has developed a horrible problem at her vent.. It looks like a bloody sausage stuck coming out. I ran her under warm water to try to see what exactly was going on.. but when I tugged on it, more came out but seemed to be covered in a white mucus. I was afraid that I was pulling her intestine out so I stopped. She acts lethargic, but was awake and foraging with the other chicks. I've now separated her. Has anyone seen this before? What should I do? Is she going to be my second cull? What a horrible way to be introduced to keeping chickens..

Here is her laying rather docilely...

Her beak is crusted with blood, I assume from picking at herself. Please help!

Squishypuff

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Kernersville, NC
I remember seeing several cases of week old chicks prolapsing, it seems to happen a lot to BYC'ers. Try to clean any gunk off of it, then push it back in very gently with a very clean finger.

Moonkit

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Richardson, Texas
I don't think you guys are understanding.. there's a good half inch of flesh out. Are you sure its a prolapse? How can I push back in that much? I tried, but it just squishes around.

Squishypuff

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Kernersville, NC
Hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in. To me, it looks like a prolapse. Take a look at the pics other people have posted of their prolapsed birds- they look really similar. I don't know what might be prolapsing, but I have heard that both the oviduct and intestines can do this. I wish I could help you more.

Top Bottom