Are her intestines coming out!? *graphic img*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moonkit, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Moonkit

Moonkit Songster

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    One of my silver laced wyandottes has developed a horrible problem at her vent.. It looks like a bloody sausage stuck coming out. I ran her under warm water to try to see what exactly was going on.. but when I tugged on it, more came out but seemed to be covered in a white mucus. I was afraid that I was pulling her intestine out so I stopped. She acts lethargic, but was awake and foraging with the other chicks. I've now separated her. Has anyone seen this before? What should I do? Is she going to be my second cull? What a horrible way to be introduced to keeping chickens..

[​IMG]

Here is her laying rather docilely...

[​IMG]

Her beak is crusted with blood, I assume from picking at herself. Please help!

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Looks like prolapse... There is a TON of info on it if you search the forum. All is not lost- she's got a chance.

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Songster

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    She's barely a over a month old and not laying yet.. how can she have prolapsed?

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I remember seeing several cases of week old chicks prolapsing, it seems to happen a lot to BYC'ers. Try to clean any gunk off of it, then push it back in very gently with a very clean finger.

5. Moonkit

Moonkit Songster

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I don't think you guys are understanding.. there's a good half inch of flesh out. Are you sure its a prolapse? How can I push back in that much? I tried, but it just squishes around.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If it doesn't go back in, I'm sorry to say but I would cull here. Have you tried some sort of lubricant? Good Luck. [​IMG]

7. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in. To me, it looks like a prolapse. Take a look at the pics other people have posted of their prolapsed birds- they look really similar. I don't know what might be prolapsing, but I have heard that both the oviduct and intestines can do this. I wish I could help you more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: