Are heritage breeds ready to go out on a similiar schedule as meaties.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    This may be the wrong forum, but I trust my hardcore, meatie experts. A batch of 20 mixed breed DP chicks just arrived, and within an hour I'm already amazed at the activity that they have. I assume when they start to get well-feathered, that they are good to go, hot or cold weather, right? I swear that they seem more self-sufficient than cornish x already. Am I wrong? Outrageously fun stuff-kids are in heaven!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    chickens are fun & addictive!
    when they go out depends on your weather and housing for them. I put all my birds out at 2 weeks regardless of the weather, but when it's colder obviously I have to make adjustments. Use common sense & you will do great! [​IMG]

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Cornish cross aren't bred for self-sufficiency, or anything else that matter except the largest amount of meat in the shortest time possible. Dual purpose are preferable in just about every other regard, including flavor...

I agree, use common sense, depending on the weather. Remember too, that even though they are fully feathered, in theory a mother hen would still protect them and keep them warm and dry for at least a couple of months... Good luck and have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by