are homemade incubators really cheaper than buying one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigdan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bigdan

bigdan Hatching

Mar 14, 2011
    Are they really cheaper on a small scale I am raising buffs for the eggs and I need more hens I only have
    4 but I don't want to keep pouring out money for these things especially since I haven't
    Gotten any eggs in 2 months I had chickens when I was a kid but I don't remember them being so difficult
    I need major help here I am a proffesional construction worker my farming skills are lacking

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have a homemade incubator and yes, it was pretty cheap and easy to put one together. In fact, I have two of them, one is made out of syrphone and the other we made out of a plastic cooler..

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I made mine out of an old cooler I already had. I had a computer fan and everything else already except the thermostat which I spent $9 on. So yes, they are cheaper unless you spend money buying the parts, which almost no one does. Old coolers, etc. can be gotten for free if you look around.

4. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    No. IMO, in the long run, if you are hatching alot of eggs, you should INVEST in a decent incubator. In the long run the increased hatch rates will make up the difference.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. rebel yell

rebel yell Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I made mine out of a mini fridge & it holds temp. & humidity great.

6. Needycowgirl

Needycowgirl In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    Home made is cheaper if your doing under 20 eggs I would say. As for your chickens not laying for the past 2 months..some stop in the winter. Do you have a heat source for them?

7. tracecom

tracecom Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:If you are looking for the cheapest way to get more hens, then hatching eggs probably isn't the best choice. You can buy a few pullet chicks for $1.50 to $4.50 each and forego the incubator. If you are really wanting to hatch chicks, you can build a better incubator than the cheapest commercially available model, but it depends on how good a scrounger you are. The first thing to look for is an insulated container, and in my opinon, the cheapest really good container is a stryrofoam shipping container like those used by Omaha Steaks. After you get the container, you need a thermostat, heating element, fan (optional, but a good idea), and assorted stuff to put it all together. Unless you want to hand turn the eggs, three times a day for 18 days, you also need an autoturner. An incubator is nothing more than an enclosure for the eggs that will keep them at a stable temperature and in which you can control the humidity. You might check craigslist in your area and see what is for sale. There is a Hovabator with auto turner in my area for $65.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

They can be very cheep to build an can work better than anything you can buy if you put the work in to it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  9. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I would say yes, they can be if you look around hard for materials. I had borrowed an LG incubator for my first hatch and HATED it with a serious passion. The temperature control was HORRIBLE. I saw several fridgibator projects on here and was really interested in making one. I was able to get a wine fridge for free off of the for sale email list at my work. It's awesome because it already had two fans wired into it and a glass front for viewing. All I had to buy was the light bulb fixture ($10 @ Home Depot) and a Reptitemp thermostat (around $20 w/ free shipping from Amazon). I just set my first eggs last night for a test run and so far it has held temps at 99.5 on the button. It does fluctuate some when I open the door to turn the eggs so I would like to come up with some racks that I can turn w/o opening the door before my next hatch. I've seen some good ideas on here, just need to get the materials together and build it. I'm also going to run some plastic tubing through the hole I drilled for the fan and thermostat sensor wires into my water resevoir so I can fill it without opening the bator as well.

It did take some time and effort to do but I would guess I could whip out another one in an hour tops now that I know what I'm doing. Even with the couple of things I want to add before the next hatch I will easily be under $40 for the entire build. IMO an AWESOME price for a bator that holds temp and humidity as well as this one does!

10. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    it is cheaper than buying one. one thing you have to remember is to try and use thing that you already have. some have used old styrofoam coolers, kitchen cabinets, and (for us) we had a chest of drawers that has seen better days. we took two of the drawers and stacked them and lined them with styrofoam insulation and went from there. and then used the body of the chest, as a brooder! layed on it's back of course and it worked great for several weeks (depending on the breed).

if you are handy with basic electrical works, you can make your incubator cheaper than a storebought one. DH has gotten the itch to crank up the incubator this year and hatch some. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: