Are hybrids good or bad???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jun 17, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    hi

i have 4 ducks that aren't all the same breeds and if those ducks were to breed with each other would the ducklings sell as good a as a non hybrids??? i could really use some help. cause if i dont i might be selling them and i dont want to do that!

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    You may not be able to ask high prices for them, but I sold Pekin/Swedish mixed ducklings the same day I posted the ad. I sold them for 4$ apiece.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    oh really wow. i bought my full breds for 4.50$ a pop at a near by co-op lol. how much would you sell a full bred ancona, cayuga, and a crested rouen for? i have them for 20 but idk if thats to much?

4. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I know it depends a lot on your area and supply/demand. I see common breed adult ducks for around 10-20$ and even more for rarer or exotic breeds.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There are 2 types of buyers. Some want purebreds, some don't care.

The people who don't care are generally not wanting to spend a lot of money. But they will buy mixed breed ducks, esecially if they are pretty birds.

Umm, "hybrids" might technically be correct, but to call an animal a "hybrid" certainly implies that it is a deliberate cross with a specific replicable goal in mind. I saw your heading and thought you had a question about Golden 300's or some other deliberate hybrid.

"Mixed breed" would be the polite name for what you are doing, which is breeding mutts. Calling them hybrids is slightly misleading.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by