are japanese hens broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lampshadeee69, Aug 17, 2011.

1. The title really speaks for itself here, but i just got a new japanese hen. I cant tell if shes too old for any more eggs or if she is too young. But what i am wondering is if she will go broody. Im also wondering if she is too old, will she still brood even though she herself cannot produce eggs anymore?

2. Anybody?

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    EXTREmely broody and make great very protective mothers!
    My friend raises them and he even has one hen that has chicks but decided to go broody again - so at night she is sitting on her eggs and the chicks are sitting on top of her! Thats broody!

5. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Mine would sit on eggs all the time if I let them. The last clutch all three of my hens would pile up in the nest box. And mean? Even the rooster would attack me if I tried to look at the eggs! Otherwise they are really sweet, just don't mess with them when they are on eggs!

6. Thanks! At least now i know that they arent bitter by nature, they probably just had auction anxiety. And once they come out of quarentine i have a batch of eggs all ready for the female [​IMG] (those auctions have to be the dirtiest places ever. Those poor chickens were RIDDLED with mites.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by