Are Kousa Dogwood Berries OK for my Hens?

MassBackyarder

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
North Shore MA
I'm relatively new to chicken raising and I am have a great time with the girls. We have six and each one has it's own personality and place in the coop.

I've not been able to find a definitative answer to the question of dogwood berries being ok to eat?

They ripen to a dark red in the next couple of weeks. The issue is the dogwood tree shades their run. If they are not healthy, I'd want to put some type of tarp over the part of the run shaded by the tree.

Thanks in advance!

It is good that you are being proactive regarding those ripening berries. Kousa isn't one of our native North American trees but rather comes from Japan.

I can't give you that definitive answer you are looking for but here's what the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has to say, "Dogwood berries are not toxic when eaten, but there have been reports of rashes after skin contact with the tree."

I don't see anywhere on the 'net about the Kousa berries being of concern to pet and livestock owners. Dogwood berries are an important food crop for robins and other birds but I'm not sure where the Japanese dogwood fits in there.

Keep looking and I hope this helps a little in putting your mind at ease.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom